Thursday, October 21, 2010

Federal Workers Don’t Share Recession Pain

NEWSMAX
10/3/10

While many workers in the private sector have been suffering the effects of the recession, federal employees have been enjoying a boom in employment and compensation — at taxpayers’ expense.

“For nearly two years, millions of private-sector workers have made often painful sacrifices because of failed federal economic policies and skyrocketing federal spending and debt. But the opposite has been true for federal workers,” the Washington Examiner states in an editorial.

According to the Examiner:

•Beginning in 2008, federal employees earning $100,000 or more a year rose from 14 percent to 19 percent of the civil service workforce of 2 million.
•During that period, Washington added around 100,000 new jobs, while more than 7 million private-sector jobs were lost.
•The average compensation for a federal worker now stands at $123,049, more than double the private-sector average.
•Of the 10 counties with the highest per capita income, six are in the Washington, D.C., area.
The Heritage Foundation reported that four out of the five jobs President Obama claimed were “created or saved” by the stimulus bill were in government.

Now Rep. Mike Coffman, a Colorado Republican, wants bureaucrats and politicians to share the pain. He has a proposal to furlough all nonessential federal workers for two weeks next year, and to cut the salaries of senators and representatives by 10 percent.

But the House Democratic leadership recently refused to schedule a vote on a bill introduced by Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick, D-Ariz., to cut congressional pay by 5 percent. Coffman’s proposal is not likely to fare much better — it’s been 77 years since Congress voluntarily took a pay cut.

But the Examiner warns: “In the year of the Tea Party, if the rest of Congress doesn’t take the Coffman and Kirkpatrick bills seriously, voters will have the opportunity in November to remind them what it’s like to be unemployed.”

Comment:

As to our representatives taking a pay cut, what's their problem? Most of them are wealthy. It's not like they need the money. They probably make more money from their businesses and investments then from their government pay. But then again, these people have yachts to maintain, mansions to keep up, and servants that need to be paid, so I guess every penny counts! [insert sarcastic sound here]

As to federal employees, they may say, "We've earned those perks!" To which I say, "And how is that?" I don't get Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, MLK Day off with pay. Why should you?" Why should you get a fat pension that pays nearly as much as when you were working? I don't get one. You should be greatful you have the job security that you do. True, you too can be laid off. But here in Caliornia, you literally work at your employer's whim. Unless you're union, your employer can let you go for any reason, as long as it doesn't violate the Civil Rights Act.

Here' a perfect example. When I was 28, just before I went into teaching, my boss called me into his office and said, "Dan, I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you go." Naturally I asked why. His response was that a friend of his was just forced into early retirement. He didn't want to retire at 62 because he'd get reduced social security benefits. My boss told me that I was 28 and could get a job anywhere, but his friend was 62, and would have a lot more difficulty finding work. Hey, I don't want to sound insensitive, but too f-ing bad. His friend's misfortunes weren't mine. I needed a job too, and I didn't feel like looking again. But I got the shaft. That couldn't have happened if I were a federal employee. So when these government workers say they deserve all these perks, I say BULLSHIT! You don't deserve any more than anyone else gets - especially since the taxpayers like me and other White workers are footing the bill.

We all deserve a fair day's pay for a fair day's work, plus insurance, vacation, sick leave, and retirement benefits. Now federal employees don't get fringe benefits, they get FRINGE BENEFITS. Also many get an expense account and a car, all on the taxpayer's nickel. I wish somebody would give me a free car to drive to work in. Pretty sweet deal. Too bad we can no longer afford them. Yes, pay the federal workers a fair salary or wage, but all these extras have got to go.

3 comments:

  1. The Bowles Blog link doesn't work either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. -------------------------------------October 21, 2010 at 11:10 PM

    Oh crap. OK, I'll check that one too. Thanks again. If it isn't one thing, it's another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -------------------------------------October 21, 2010 at 11:53 PM

    OK, I think I fixed it. Try it now.

    ReplyDelete