Monday, December 13, 2010

Not Enough Christmas Spirit These Days

To ask a question from "Family Guy": Do you know what grinds my gears? Not enough people are getting into the Christmas Spirit, that's what. It's not just this year because of the bad economy and all. This has been going on for many years before the Recession began.

For example, as many of you know, I live in a mobile home park. Hey don't look down your noses at me. If you own your mobile home outright, which I do, it's the cheapest way to live. It's cheaper than an apartment, and I don't share a wall, ceiling, or floor with my neighbour. Anyway, we have 45 coaches in this park. Out of that 45, only 11 coaches have put up Christmas decorations. Now there are 12 coaches occupied by Whites. Three by Blacks, the rest are Mestizos. No Asians. Now how many do you suppose are Catholic or Christian? I'm sure all of them are. Most Mexicans are Catholic, although a few have gone with other Christian denominations. Blacks are mostly Baptists. In fact one of the three Black families the husband is a newly ordained minister with a small Baptist congregation. One of the others is his mother who is also Christian. The third I don't know. He could be in the Nation Of Islam or even a Jewish convert like Sammy Davis, Jr., but going by appearances, I seriously doubt it, so he's most likely Christian as well. I know one of the White families are Jehovah's Witnesses, and they don't celebrate Christmas, so they're off the hook on this subject. But what about the 44 other families?

Christmas is less than two weeks away and less than one quarter of the tenants have put up Christmas decorations. Most of these people have young children. For shame!

Now I realise things are tight right now, and so many people are out of work. It could mean a dismal Christmas gift-wise this year. But as they say, Christmas is about giving, not receiving. It is possible to celebrate without presents. Put up some decorations, sing some carols, have a nice dinner. There are many churches helping people out this year with food. If you're too proud to accept charity, then fine, do without. Your choice. Just remember that young children won't understand about a "man's pride". All they'll understand is Santa isn't coming to their house this year, and they won't know why. Swallow your pride for your children's sake. Hey, even if you live alone, you should still show a little Christmas Spirit. You don't want the neighbours to see you as "that weird guy who lives alone and never celebrates holidays" do you?

I'm sure all of you have at least some decorations. I've never known ANYONE who throws away Christmas decorations unless they're broken. So you can't say, "I don't have any decorations and I can't afford to buy them this year." I say horse manure to that. I bet you all have a few things in your garage, shed, or apartment storage bin.

What really grinds my gears is the reason so few decorate anymore. It's that they simply don't want to be bothered. It's too much trouble. Again, for shame!

The most common excuse is, "I don't have time. I have to work." Sure you do. But you don't work 16 hours, come home for some sleep, then back for another 16 hours. You certainly don't do this 24/7. Maybe a tiny handful might have to work like this, but not most people.

My own brother is a perfect example. He does no decorating because he doesn't want to be bothered. He used to use the work excuse. I'd say to him, "You can put up some decorations on Saturday." He'd say, "No, I have to do yard work (remember, in California yard work is year-round), then I have to go to the grocery store, and then some other errands." Then I say, "OK. How about Sunday?" Then he whines, "Aw, don't I get ONE day when I don't have to do anything?" How many of you say that? A lot I bet. The answer is, no you don't. Until you can afford to pay someone to do your chores for you, you don't get a day when you have nothing to do. That's life. There's ALWAYS SOMETHING that needs to be done. Quit your whining and just do it. You certainly can spend an hour or two once a year to put up decorations, and an hour or two once a year to take them down. That's only two - four hours a year, so quit your sniveling and just do it. Now that my brother is on forced furlough on Fridays, he can't use the work excuse anymore. At least he's now being honest and admitting he doesn't want be bothered. OK, fine. My brother, Ebeneezer Schruender. Humbug!

If you live in an apartment, just put a few lights up around your front window, or hang a wreath on the door. Just do something! If your building prohibits outdoor decorations, then it's not your fault, and you too are off the hook.

Now if you're really busy with a lot of overtime at work, then you have a few bucks to spare. Go to the store and buy a small display. An outdoor tree, Santa and some reindeer, a snowman. You know, the kind that light up. It takes just a few minutes to put up, and a few to take down. So comrades, stop the whining and excuse making and show some Christmas Spirit.

I realise I may have spoken a little harshly, and maybe it's none of my business, but Christmas is just about the most important Aryan holiday there is. I'd hate to see it die from apathy. Every good parent wants his kids to have better Christmases than they had. The first place to start is your home. If you won't do it for yourselves, do it for your children. If you have no children, then do it for the neighbourhood kids. Even if you're alone, it does make the holidays brighter. Merry Christmas comrades!

No comments:

Post a Comment